Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Eyes of the Amaryllis (PART II)

Rose St., Corner Bombil, Cahilsot Village
Brgy. Calumpang, General Santos City
February 26, 2012

Natalie Babbit
Providence, Rhode Isalnd, USA


Dear Mrs. Babbit,

It’s a great privilege and honor for me to have an opportunity to write to a gifted artist and writer like you. It is my first time write a letter to an author and my first time as well to read one of your books and I found it simply amazing. I read that you are an award- winning author of the modern classic of Tuck Everlasting, The Eyes of the Amaryllis, Kneeknock Rise and many other brilliantly original books for young people. By just reading one of your works, The Eyes of the Amaryllis, I will not anymore wonder why because your works really show how a bright writer you are.

The plot is very well written and is fast-paced without ever feeling bored. The mysterious and powerful sea drives a grandmother and her granddaughter through some unusual experiences, while waiting for a sign from that lost-at-sea on The Amaryllis because of a hurricane.

Reading this book, I found it was rather similar to "Daughter of the Sea" by Berlie Doherty. Both books praise the ocean to a great deal, but if I were to choose the stronger of the two, "The Eyes of the Amaryllis" wins hands down. I've always liked this story, and considering why I like it, there are a number of reasons that I can't always explain. The characters and their relationships are complex, with shades of grey that Jenny can't help noticing. Her Gran's fierce love and deep faith in her husband are very fine, and her strength and determination are like rock itself, choosing to let her son go when he couldn't handle living with the sea as an ever-present reminder of witnessing his father's death. However, I have little doubt that Babbitt herself has spent a lot of time with the ocean. But with this, I could say that real love cannot really be satiate by water neither is drown by floods.

Along in its linear plot, I also look the story of Nicholas as a terrible and a foolish waste just like what Geneva sees to it. This book really shows the vulnerability of those who lose a loved one and how hope can direct one's behavior in ways that can't be explained with logic.

"Amaryllis" is a wonderful tale of longing. Now, I am quickly becoming such a fan of yours that I believe everyone should read your work. I am looking forward to read more of your works that has wonderful tidbits of morality and the human condition peppered throughout your narratives and morality tales that would always be a huge favorite of mine.

More power and God Bless!



Your supporter,

Divina B. Moradas

No comments:

Post a Comment